Saturday, April 14, 2007

Poetry Contest

I started out the day of April 12 realizing that I had lost my wallet. I still went to my observation time, but in a somewhat bad mood. Well, every day after lunch the kids in the whole school watch a news report that's made for junior and high school students--this one had a portion about the war in Iraq. A couple of students were messing around during this, and the hairs on my head flared up. I wasn't mean, I don't think, but I had a clearly offended tone while I told them to watch because this is an issue dealing with the war that their country is in right now. That it's kind of important. It was all in the tone. Once that outburst was done, I was better, but I feel a little bad that I said it while in a mood. Self-control is very important when dealing with Junior Highers.

The rest of the day went well, though. They had a poetry contest in the school or county or something, I don't know. So, kids were working on poems to enter and all of them could have entered, too, they did so well on their poems. Mrs. Garcia said that she starts poetry during CSAP week because it's funner for the students after taxing their brains for hours. I was very impressed with some of the poems, most actually, and had a good time reading them. I organized the entries and graded some other papers that day, too.

No comments: