Sunday, February 18, 2007

Over the last two weeks, I have been faithfully observing Mrs. Garcia and the kids in her classroom. The majority of her students are hispanic, some are ELLs, some aren't. Their heights range from 4 feet to 6 feet. At 12 and 13, they already have swearing habits; most don't like to listen and most don't like school, especially reading and grammar. Mrs. Garcia consistently challenges these students to expect more of themselves. I haven't observed a day where she didn't give them homework. She separates the students who need to be separated and does a pretty good job of keeping most of the engaged, which still requires that you repeat yourself two or three extra times.
I am challenged mostly with the kids' attitudes. They especially don't want to listen to me because I'm not the teacher. When they say that I usually shock them by saying that they are correct--I'm not the teacher, but I do want to see them learn and not distracting to themselves or to others. I constantly think about what I would do if I was the teacher, though. The students don't have to listen, but if they don't what am I supposed to do? There are few consequences for trouble-makers in the classroom. That is the #1 thing I'm going to have to figure out before I start teaching--discipline. I have to know the rules, follow through with them, and not be intimidated; plus I'm supposed to teach! I don't know how some teachers do it.

No comments: